Saturday, February 05, 2005

Linux Breathes New Life Into Old Hardware

Recycling old hardware and making use of those CPU cycles once again.

Linux has long been great for making old hardware useful again. I've taken 3 pentium II class machines, each with ~ 5 GB hard drives, and installed Fedora Core 1 Linux on them. Installation was easy in all 3 cases, and now these machines continuously monitor several websites and other network resources such as email addresses, and post updates to websites if predetermined conditions should arise.


The image “http://joeldalley.com/blog-images/my_servers1.png” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

I use a General Electric Ionizing air filter to minimize dust and dirt near the machines. In the future, I'd like to have Linux running on machines that consume much less energy, but purchasing hardware is currently not an option -- which takes me back to the theme of Linux resurrecting old hardware.

The image “http://joeldalley.com/blog-images/my_servers2.png” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.